Monday 8 April 2013

Bag a Placement or Forever Bag Packing...


If you’re a 2nd year fashion student on a sandwich course at university, you’ll agree that bagging that dream placement is no easy task. The application process is just as grueling as a full time job. Firstly they play mind games with you asking question after question, untill you start to desperately cry out and ask, “who am I?”, “what is the meaning of life?”, “what company am I even applying to?” Then the timed numeracy tests, situational judgment tests and verbal reasoning tests are enough to make you want to repeatedly bang your head on your desk.
I am so close to giving up after starting my job search back in September. Being rejected by every company known to the uk can really knock your confidence. However life isn’t fair and nor is applying for jobs. You can have the perfect cv but if lucky Lucy’s got that inside connection then your to expect that generic email reply; “thank you for your interest in our company. Unfortunately. …..”
What I found when searching for internships is that social media can be a great help. Especially twitter can open up so many doors to employers and organisations you may not even of heard of. Twitter is brilliant because it is updated daily and you can follow organisations that do the searching for you. I follow @ukfashionintern. Thanks to them I see their notifications all the time which motivates me to carry on applying. Especially getting home from a long day of being a sales consultant, seeing an inspirational post can push you to achieve more.
Rejection from a company you have pinned your hopes on can really hurt. Some day it will feel like you’ll never reach your dream job. The truth is you won’t if you give up, or you may just find it somewhere that you couldn't of predicted. Good luck, I know I need it!
Rant over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment